Saturday, June 23, 2007

First Time For Everything

Well, I guess I've finally joined the modern age! I am blogging....will you look at that?!

I'm 37, as is DH (C) - at least for another month. We've been married for 9 years and live in the South. (Nope, not "of France" - the rebel-flag waving, gravy-eating, "bless your heart" saying South.) We are childless (for the moment) unless you count our 9-year old Havanese (PP).

I say childless for the moment because tomorrow we could be parents. Tomorrow we could get a call and find out that a baby on the other side of the world is about to join our family. WOW!! We are on a waiting list with an agency in Utah to adopt a baby (or possibly babies if we get twins) from Taiwan!! We are so very excited about this and just cannot WAIT to get "the call." We have wanted to become parents for a long time now and we are so thrilled that our path has led us to adoption! We know in our hearts that our child(ren) is/are out there.....we just have to be patient until we are brought together. (Easier said than done, I assure you!)

I wanted to start the blog as a way to document our excitement as the time draws near for us to learn more about our little one(s) and travel to bring him/her/them home. I regret not starting this journaling back in November when we first began to consider adoption. We've come a LONG way since then and now that we've made it to this point, some of the details are already fading.

Here's our basic time line:

Nov. 2006 Began to consider adoption
Dec. 2006 C did a LOT of research on adoption, different countries, and agencies
Jan. 2007 Decided to definitely adopt, decided on Taiwan, chose an agency & pre-applied to their Taiwan Program, began our home study paperwork with a social worker in our home state
Jan. 19 Mailed our I600A Application to USCIS
Feb. 6 Find out we cannot do the program we applied for because of "health issues" which makes NO sense. The next 2+ weeks were filled with despair as we thought we could not adopt from Taiwan and we absolutely KNEW our child was in Taiwan!
Feb. 12 First home study visit with BK
End of Feb We realize that we can still adopt from Taiwan, just through another agency, so we apply to them and they were WONDERFUL! We are back on the road to Taiwan!!!!
Mar. 6 and Mar. 20 Our 2nd and 3rd home study visits with BK
Apr. 4 Our home study draft was received at the agency and that means we are ON THE WAITING LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr. 5 Fingerprinting appointment at Charlotte USCIS
May 5 I171-H Received
May 14 Dossier mailed to agency

We've been on the list for 2.5 months now. So we wait. And make lists of baby names. And look at cribs and bedding. Right now it's just all about the waiting........

No comments: