Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Happy Birthday to my Father-in-Law!

Today is my wonderful FIL's 75th Birthday! Although he had to celebrate in the hospital, it was still a happy day.

He's been in the hospital since last Friday when he suffered a heart attack. He's had both heart and lung conditions for a very long time (30 years) so while his health has never been "great," lately he has been feeling especially poorly.

He was up and walking today, however, and there's a chance he may get to come home tomorrow. While he's definitely ready to come home, I know he'll miss giving the nurses a good laugh. He's just that kind of guy - no matter what is going on, he's worried about everyone around him and whether or not THEY are OK. He loves to cut up and pick on folks and he's a pretty good sport when you pick right back at him, too. I ought to know, I'm his favorite sparring partner, LOL!

All in all, I hit the jackpot when I married my husband. I love my in-laws more than words could ever express. I can't relate to folks who complain of meddling mothers-in-law or any of that. Seriously, my in-laws are THE BEST. They are the sweetest and kindest people on the face of the Earth and they have truly embraced me as a daughter. I can see in each of my in-laws parts of my husband, or I guess I should say I see THEM reflected in HIM. He got his father's sharp wit and his mother's kind heart. He got his father's temper and his mother's love of shopping. He got his dad's love of all things electronic and his mom's charm.

(Speaking of electronics, last year for his birthday, my FIL asked for an iPod. So for his 74th b-day, that's exactly what we got him. And he LOVES it. He's addicted to iTunes and spends hours searching for the most obscure music and downloading it. He's hilarious...walking around the house or just sitting in his office with his headphones on. A couple of weeks after his b-day last year we were over at their house and he says to us, "Hey, have ya'll seen my Pod?" Ever since then, none of us can call it an iPod....it's just a Pod.)

I owe so much to these in-laws of mine - these amazing individuals who raised my husband to be the wonderful man he is today. My husband is a great husband because his father is a great husband. I know my husband will be a great father because his dad is such a great father. What an amazing example he has set!!

So again, Happy Birthday, DWM, my father-in-law, Korean War Veteran, iPod Fanatic and "Pops" to those who love you!

3 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

Wow, what a wonderful tribute to your in-laws!! They sound like amazing people. That is a true blessing!!

Judy said...

Happy birthday to your FIL and I hope he is already home!!

Megan said...

HI,
So lucky to have great IL's! I love the name Odin it is very original and suits him well. He is such a cutie!
Megan