Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Not Expecting It

I keep reading on blogs and hearing from others that their referral happened when they "least expected it." So beginning last week, I stopped expecting it. Well, that's not quite right....I stopped saying to my husband every day when I came through the door, "Did we get our baby yet?"

I have made a conscious effort since last Monday NOT to talk about the baby every day. I have made a conscious effort not to watch the clock each evening, sighing audibly at exactly 8 pm EST because I know it's now 5 pm in Utah where our agency is. Another day ended and our agency folks are headed out to their cars and home to their kids...... Another day done and we are not yet parents.

But the truth of the thing is, the God's honest truth of it is - I don't know that I've ever expected it. The call, I mean. Despite the mountain of paperwork, the fingerprinting, the home study interviews, the autobiographies and mini-scrapbook, the hours I've spent with the Duckies discussing adoption, the books I've read and am reading, heck, despite the freakin' nursery furniture we've already purchased (!!!), I don't know that I really expect anyone to actually call me on the phone and say to me, "We have a child for you." I just find it so difficult to believe that someone will actually allow me to fly to another country and bring home a baby. Seriously?! They're really gonna do that???

So, yeah, the old addage that it's going to happen when you least expect it? Honey, that's right now....'cause I spend a lot of my day thinking this all must be some crazy (albeit realistic) dream I'm having.

Oh, yeah - one more thing. I've also heard/read a million times that people get their referrals while they are out of town. So I'm going on record now (since it didn't happen while we were on vacation the week of the 4th) predicting we will get our referral when we go to KY in August. That's the weekend of the 18-19th. You heard it here first, run on down to the OTB and place your bets, people!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Aw... it's so sweet that you're disappointed at 8pm with no phone call. I'm trying not to think like this, as I have had emails from the agency that were sent with her working late into the night. Do you have a project to keep you busy? I read that you've bought nursery furniture already, but is everything else put together in there? I could think of all kinds of stuff to keep you busy! :)