Saturday, December 15, 2007

Thanks, Ladies!

Thanks to those of you who responded to my previous post. It's confusing enough to be a first-time parent, but to become a parent to a child who will likely be 12 months old (or more..ugh) at homecoming....well, that's just OVERWHELMING!! I do promise to post some pics of the nursery, which right now is just a room with furniture, although I must admit the closet does look like a real closet, with actual baby boy clothes and everything!

The Great SUV Debate of '07 has finally come to its conclusion. This week, C and I finally made a deal with the nice folks at Toyota and got the 4Runner. It's exciting...this purchasing a vehicle with the sole purpose in mind of keeping our child as safe as we can. So on Tuesday, December 11, 2007, we said goodbye to the convertible BMW...and yes, I cried a little. Not for the car....Heaven knows I couldn't care less about the car...I cried because my husband had DREAMED of that car since he was 16 years old and the day we bought it 3 years ago was one of the happiest days of his life. He loved that car, adored that car, washed and waxed and babied that car. He parked 8 million miles from every other vehicle in any parking lot just to keep her safe. He truly had his dreamcar...for the past 3 years. But when we decided to adopt, he INSISTED on trading her in on a SAFER vehicle for our son. He has pestered me and annoyed me and bugged the living snot out of me for the last 8 months about getting a vehicle which would keep Odin safer. I actually fought him on it, trying to convince him that a regular car (mine) would be fine. But he became something I've never seen....a Big Papa Bear trying to protect his cub. It was strange...hearing him talk about the convertible as "just a car." Yes, 3 years ago, we bought his dreamcar...but this week I guess we did it again. Only now the dream is oh so different. And that's a wonderful thing.

7 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

Mel, that is one special hubby you have there. He is going to be a great daddy (just like you're going to be an awesome mommy!!) I prayed for you just a moment ago, that baby Odin would be home SOON and that your court process would be speedy!!!

Congrats on the new 4Runner!! Give that man of yours a pat on the back. What a good guy. :)

Rebecca

Chairman Mom said...

That is absolutely the sweetest thing I have ever heard. What a wonderful guy, and what an amazing daddy he'll be to Odin!

Megan said...

Mel,
Join the SUV club...We actually turned in our Z4 (it was sad for me too) last year when we decided to adopt now sporting an Acura SUV! You'll luv th 4runner.. how cute you're already a soccer mom.
Megan

sardonic sister said...

aww, mel! your posts always bring a tear to my eye! congrats on the 4-runner. my dad has one, too.

Camille said...

Ah, the true adult sacrifice has been made. C is my hero. And of course Mel, you are too. That should go without saying...

Brooke said...

oh, so sweet. you guys are the best and odin is one lucky boy!

Our Family said...

That is so sweet! Your husband is obviously going to be a very thoughtful and concerned dad!! I'm sure safer cars are just of many sacrifices that you will both make through the years! My husband drives a 4Runner (he loves it except the gas mileage), and sadly I drive a Minivan (really I'm too cool for it!) and the other day we were in a borrowed BMW and Sierra hated it because it was too squishy! I hope you hear something about brining your adorble little boy home very, very soon!

Lori