Friday, April 11, 2008

Words Mean Things

For the record (and honestly so that I don't forget or lose track because I haven't had a lot of time for a baby book) I thought I'd let you know what Odin can say.

Here are his words, in order of acquisition:

1. Da-da
2. Ma-ma
3. Thank you

For the record, he was saying these first 3 before we ever left Taiwan. Yeah...he's that good!

4. Nana
5. Papaw
6. Cheese (when he sees the camera)
7. Bubble (we have a little machine in the tub)

He's also very close to saying "Hello" and "Uh oh" but so far both of these are just "Oh!" He is also trying to say "Puppy" which is what we almost always call our dog. He's still singing "E-I-E-I-O" when he's tired and the song never fails to put him to sleep. What he finds soothing about the song is mystery enough, but that he actually ASKS me to sing is preposterous. Have you people heard me sing? NO...and there's good reason for that, believe me. But God in his infinite wisdom has blessed us with the one soul in the universe who actually enjoys my singing voice. It's nothing short of miraculous.

Another thing he's doing that is A-DOR-A-BLE is holding up a toy or even just his hand to his ear and pretending to talk on the phone. It is SOOOO funny!!! Mostly his conversations go like this: "Eh?" "Eeee?" "Oh." That's the extent of his one-sided chats. The best part is how he cocks his head to one side and has the most serious look on his face when he's doing it. Priceless, I tell ya!

For a little one who's only been home a month to have this many English words already fairly impressed his pediatrician. By our next visit I wouldn't be surprised if Odin has mastered trigonometry and started work on his thesis.


I know you guys are anxious for some more pics, and I do have plenty to share, just not much time to get them downloaded and posted here. I promise some pics are coming soon. Thanks for your patience!

6 comments:

William's Family said...

It sounds like Odin is developing brilliantly. The phone story is way too cute!

sardonic sister said...

what a smart baby boy! and that's so sweet that he pretend-talks on the phone! :) your updates always brighten my day.

JackieMacD said...

Sounds like Odin's doing so so well. That's fantastic! I think of you often...thanks for the update.

-J
taiwanlucy.blogspot.com

R... said...

Oh, he is too cute both in the pictures and in your descriptions! I am so happy for you guys!! And you've only been home a month?! Isn't it hard to believe?

R...

Judy said...

that is very impressive to be able to say so many words already.

can't wait to see more photos!!!

Megan said...

He is doing so well with his words sounds like he is so advanced! For only being home a month you guys are adjusting great!!!
XOXO,
Megan