Monday, October 27, 2008

My Family Rocks!

Those of you who follow regularly and especially those who read the "comments" have probably figured out that something BIG is brewing with me and my fellow blogging cousins. This weekend, the maternal side of my family is having a 3-day shin-dig in Gatlinburg, TN. We are meeting there and all staying in a big chalet together! We've got about 35 adults and 7 kids coming and I CAN'T WAIT!!! This little soiree' has been in the works for a long time and I am sooooo excited that it's finally here!

I should point out that my family is pretty large - my Mom had 5 brothers and a sister. 4 of her siblings yeilded me a total of 11 first-cousins. (I honestly don't know how many kids her other 2 siblings had, so I know there are more cousins out-of-state whom I've never met.) OK, the 11 first-cousins in turn produced to date 13 second-cousins. The second-cousins have already given me 7 third-cousins. Anybody follow that? I'm pretty sure that's right, but honestly, with this many people, can you blame me if I'm off by one or two?

The other thing I should point out is that my family actually gets along well and enjoys spending time together. Growing up my cousins were my best friends - and I have wonderful memories of weekends spent at their homes just playing and having a great time. Countless hours have been spent watching "the grownups" play Rook and Boggle and poker and Pictionary and Spoons and Uno and heck...we're not picky - give us a game and WE WILL PLAY IT! I don't know that I've ever been to a family function that ended without a table of 4 people somewhere in the corner playing Rook.

So this weekend my incredibly BIG FUN family will gather from all over the US (from WA and UT and OH and KY and NC and MD). And we will talk and laugh and play games and dress up in costumes for a party on Halloween night! We're going to eat and drink and lounge in the hot-tub while we catch up on each other's lives. It's going to be such a blast!

See you soon, Cousins! And second-cousins! And third-cousins! And aunts and uncles...

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I love Rook!!!! I will totally be your partner next time you are in KY. :) We'll set it up.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

wow! sounds so incredibly fun!

have a blast
Tami
Noah'w mama
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Camille said...

Oh MY GOSH! I am so excited. I have been bouncing off the walls for two days. We are going to have so much fun. I got your last update in the mail yesterday and loved your suggestion for political discussion (or lack thereof). And don't worry--I plan to honor your wishes and not initiate any sort of mock election.

CHEERS to Mel for being the orchestrator of this great event. It has been so much work and I am sure it will go off flawlessly! Thank you so much!!