Saturday, March 29, 2008

Not Abducted By Aliens

We're still here! Just doing the day-to-day stuff...and not finding a lot of time for this computer, I'm afraid.

I am just staying SO busy...I can't even fit in return phone calls to my IRL friends! (I am SO SORRY!!! to AH, KB and CH especially!!) (I also owe emails to some very special people and I swear I'm not ignoring you - you know who you are!)

Odin is getting much better about playing on his own and not having to be held every second, but when I'm on the computer he wants to be right there in the cords or in the china cabinet behind me and it just becomes a battle every time I sit down here...so I just don't do it. He still won't really nap unless I'm holding him, and even then it's iffy. He may nap for 45 mins. or it may be 2 hours if I'm lucky...but he won't let me lay him in the crib. At night, he does great in the crib...but there's something about the daytime that is different for him.

Anyway...I'm making the adjustment to SAHM alright but I'm also working PT from home and that's been difficult since that job also involves the computer and my office is filled with papers that Odin just happens to love playing with and tearing to bits! =) I'm trying to save my work for after C. gets home in the evenings but sometimes that can't happen.

We have our 1st pediatrician appointment next week. Other than his teeth, Odin's health seems to be great. Odin's cheeks have been sort of chapped but I think that's due to his drooling and also taking rides in the stroller while it's windy. His teeth are giving him fits, though. He's cut his top eye-teeth as well as one other tooth since we got him and he's working on at least one more!!! And he had 8 when we picked him up, so...yeah, that's a lotta teeth for a 13 month old! I did find a "magic" tooth lotion thanks to a neighbor and that has helped a TON. (It's some sort of concoction that a local pharmacist mixes up herself.)

Odin says Da-Da and Ma-Ma regularly and has said Nana and Papaw a few times. He seems to understand everything we say and knows who is who - like he'll look at my Mom when we say Nana or he'll look at the dog when we talk about him. He loves music and dances back and forth and it is sooo cute!!! When he is sleepy he sings "E-I-E-I" in this whiny voice because in Taiwan I would sing Old McDonald to him to get him to fall asleep. (I also sang Jesus Loves Me and Amazing Grace but it's Old McDonald he remembers....) I had no idea it would stick like that...but now whenever he's sleepy he'll go around saying "E-I-E-I-E-I" but he won't add the "O" yet.

We've had our pictures made for the church directory and Odin learned to say "Cheese" although it doesn't look like he's smiling when he says it. He's been to several restraunts to eat and has behaved himself very well! He loves chicken, mashed potatos and any kind of bread but is not crazy about green beans, peas, broccoli, bananas or grapes. He also likes pizza and goldfish and doughnuts and blueberry muffins as well as waffles (sans syrup). I know, right? Hard to imagine a kid who likes waffles but not broccoli.....

He's been to BRU as well as TRU and sports TWO shiny new pairs of Stride Rite shoes thanks to his wonderful Nana! He attended church on Easter (although he didn't find our Easter Drama to be captivating enough to keep him awake). He's getting used to the idea of having a dog and initiates contact *sometimes*. He's been on countless walks thru the neighborhood and met two great kids up the street (one is adopted!) who are close to his age. He's hunted Easter eggs and thrown most of his toys, as well as a ceramic coaster at his Papaw's house, putting a nice divot in their hardwood. (He's got a good arm.)

He laughs a lot, especially if you find that sweet tickle spot in the crook of his neck or the high spot on his thigh! There is no better sound than his giggle....I mean seriously...THERE IS NOTHING BETTER. NOT IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

4 comments:

Camille said...

Aw Mel, I love hearing about your adventures! Sounds like you guys are doing so well. And Odin, high five on the green beans. Gross! I told Trev and Savvy I am allergic to green beans so I don't have to eat them when they're around! Thanks for the update!

JackieMacD said...

You're alive! So happy to hear things are going well for you. I think of you often. Share pics next time!

xo
-J
taiwanlucy.blogspot.com

Brooke said...

It is so fun to hear of all your new experiences with Odin. I am truly so happy for you! And I bet he is just not getting enough attention with his grandparents all so close:) Lucky!

Megan said...

Congratulations on making it this far in the transition! It is much harder adjusting to SAHM isn't it! I don't even attempt to do any computering during the day and am so behing in thank you cards and calls too. You guys are doing great. Kimi still has some sleeping issues it has been a lot of trial and error!
XOXO,
Megan