Monday, February 11, 2008

It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To....

Yesterday was my baby shower!! To say it was a great day doesn't even begin to do it justice. It was quite possibly THE BEST BABY SHOWER EVER IN THE WHOLE WIDE UNIVERSE. And even that doesn't sound like I'm doing it justice.

The day began normally enough. I woke up, straightened up a bit (there wasn't much to do as the house had been thoroughly cleaned the day before)(well, except for the windows and my Mom did notice that,of course!), had some breakfast, took a shower, got dressed and waited. I was awfully excited, I gotta say. Here we were, finally having a baby shower...after wanting to be parents for so many years. I was anxious to see some friends who I hadn't seen in a while, but who had assured me they would be there. All of my family (except Mom & Dad) live out-of-state, but I was happy to spend the day with C's family...an amazing group of ladies who worked their ever-lovin' behineys off throwing me this shin-dig, by the way! I just KNEW it was going to be fun, fun, and more fun!

Then the doorbell rang. I thought, "Here we go!" and jumped up to open the door. When I did...I started bawling!! Standing on my front porch were aunts and cousins from KY and OH...my family who I had NO IDEA was even coming!!!!!!! As I stood there hugging each and every one of them I just could not stop crying...they had travelled 7 hours just for me...just to SURPRISE me...at my baby shower! I can't even describe how this makes me feel...so loved, so special! Apparently they all got together with my Mom and agreed it would be a great surprise for me and they managed a major covert operation. 7 of them came in a mini-van and 3 more in a car. They hid their vehicles in my parents' garage (which was still risky because my parents and I live in the same neighborhood and I regularly just pop up there without calling). They then managed to sneak in and out of the neighborhood by a back exit so as to avoid going by our house. They said it was worth the effort just to see my face....but I doubt that because I'm sure it was my "ugly cry" face. They certainly got me...I had absolutely no idea.

So once I got over the shock, I started to open presents and more guests arrived and a great time was had by all!! I honestly opened presents for an hour and a half straight, without stopping for so much as a drink of punch. I am not exaggerating, either. I was overwhelmed by the love and support of our amazing friends and family...we are so very blessed to have these wonderful people in our lives. Their excitement for us just warms our hearts every day and we truly feel like the luckiest people on Earth.

There are pictures to come, I promise. My camera battery is dead and frankly I'm too tired to download and post them tonight anyway. I'll figure something out, though and post them soon. Also, I know I still owe you nursery pics. Tomorrow our good friend AB is coming to work on the murals and she should be done in a few days so when she's finished, I'll have nursery pics too!

15 Days 'til we leave for Taiwan....21 Days 'til we meet Odin!!!!!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Mel,
Oh my goodness, what a party! Sounds like a very special party for a very special new mommy. :)

William's Family said...

What a special way to celebrate Odin's arrival. Very fun!

Brooke said...

Yay! I am so glad it was so fun!!! I was thinking of you - you deserved the best baby shower in the universe! Can't wait to see the pics:)

JackieMacD said...

Mel,
That sounds incredible! You deserve to be showered with such love. Odin is one lucky dude -- and of course you are the luckiest mama!

-J
taiwanlucy.blogspot.com

Camille said...

I so wish I could have been there! So glad you had fun!

4 Draper Goldy's said...

That was a great surprise! and I'm so happy for you - just wish we could have been part of the surprise too -

Our Family said...

Sounds so wonderful and fun! I am so happy for you and you are very lucky to have such family support! Sierra can't wait to see the photos (me too)!

Lori, Sierra & Samantha!