Yep, we're here!
We arrived at 6 a.m. right on schedule and managed to make it to the hotel by 8. They allowed us to check in early, but we do have to pay for the 1/2 day. It's worth it, though. After travelling for 24+ hours straight, all one really wants to do is drop the suitcases, take a shower, and eat. All of which we promptly did.
We took advantage of the free breakfast here at The Agora; and while I must confess to not exactly trying anything new (I stuck to croissants and bacon) I don't think we'll be missing any breakfasts here. It was yummy! C was a bit more adventurous than I was, he tried 2 things that he had no idea what they were. One he liked, one he didn't, so it wasn't too bad. They had hot tea, which I love; and fresh pineapple juice, which C loves. All in all, a pretty positive experience for our first meal in Taiwan.
After breakfast we took off in search of Taipei 101, the tallest building in the WORLD. Yeah...it wasn't hard to find! It's an easy 15 minute walk from The Agora and the weather is decent today. It's coolish and a bit windy and overcast but not raining and not freezing, so the walk was nice. We walked around Taipei 101 and just looked in the shops (it was too early for any of them to be open), and we checked out some menus of restraunts there. We explored the bottom level where we found (to our delight!) a KFC, a scrumptious-looking bakery with some FABULOUS smelling treats on display, and a supermarket. First purchase in Taiwan: (drum roll, please, although other families who've adopted from SLC probably know exactly what I'm about to say....) SURFBOARD CRACKERS!!!! I went to the baby section hoping to find them and there they were, so we got a pack. I probably should've gone ahead and gotten 10 or 15 packs, right? For those who don't know, these are a rice cracker teething biscuit sort of thing that the babies of SLC apparently just cannot live without. Babies have been known to have complete and total meltdowns in the absence of the surfboard crackers. Luckily some folks have found them in the US (I won't say the name of that one store that I refuse to shop at, but it's that evil store that I hate where you can buy pretty much everything else, so why not surfboard crackers?) and you can get them at Whole Foods according to one blog I read.
So on the walk home we popped in a 7-11 and got some bottled water and sodas for the hotel and now we're back and C is attempting to nap. Not bad for only being in the country for...a little over 5 hours, huh?! We've also managed to find the Outback Steakhouse, Macaroni Grill, and a very nice looking Japanese Style Steakhouse.
Okey-dokey, I'm off to join my hubby in a nap. So long for now.
Countdown: 1 Day Since We Left For Taiwan, 3 Days Til We Meet Baby Odin!!!
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Ni Hao from Taiwan!!
Posted by
Mel
at
11:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
So glad to hear you made it safe! Enjoy every minute!
Yeah! Thanks for the update...I hope you are taking pictures! I wanna see. And we need to talk...are you anti-walmart? (no judgement here, but if you are, you should live in WA, there are very few, the people here are very anti) Sorry, but the curiousity is killing me.
You arrived!! It's all good from here, girl. Can't wait to hear and see everything.
-J
taiwanlucy.blogspot.com
Yay! So happy you arrived safely and are able to rest up before meeting Odin. See you in Taiwan!
- Judy K.
www.wonderchildherewecome.blogspot.com
I'm glad to see you landed safely. I doesn't sound like you landed in another country. You've listed everything you can find here. Please tell me you'll be adventurous with your next meal.
QJ
i am anti-walmart, as well. kudos to you :)
i'm glad you made it safe and sound! :)
Mel,
Great to hear you're there and doing so well! I wish we had found the Outback! We did eat at the Mac Grill you found on Samantha's pick up day and then we ate at our Mac Grill on her one month anniversary (which was also her first bday!)!
I can't wait to hear more about your trip! I hope it continues to be fun!
Lori
http://tsang2007.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment